We're Getting Hitched!

We're Getting Hitched!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Something borrowed...

Growing up, I always thought I'd wear my mom's dress for my wedding.  When I was 12, the dress fit me almost perfectly.   26 years later, the dress doesn't fit.  I still wanted something that my mom wore when she walked down the aisle 30 years ago, so we decided to take the netting from her veil and create a veil for me.  Thanks to our good friend Jan Weldon, I have my beautiful veil.

Since my ring belonged to my great-grandmother and the veil was my mom's, I thought it would be neat to have something from both my grandmothers.  I emailed my mom's mom and she sent me the garter that she wore, and my mom and aunt wore as well.  Finding something from my dad's mom was a little trickier since she died when my dad was young and we don't have much that belonged to her.

I called my dad and sent him on a search.  He was able to find a charm bracelet that his uncles had made out of military metals to give to his mom.  He also started on a quest to find out more about his mom's side of the family.  I think it was good for him to look into that, and maybe we will find out even more over time.

So, as I walk down the aisle, I will have 3 generations of my family's belongings walking with me.  Since I never got to meet my grandmother on my dad's side, this small part of her life means a lot.

With less than 6 days to go, things are really starting to come together.  We've been blessed with a lot of generous gifts and excitement is building.  Can't wait to share this day with all of you!  It should be a great party!

No comments:

Post a Comment